Wednesday, June 17, 2015

TPT Challenge Accepted! {Makeover Madness}

Just give a product a facelift they said. Add a little something new. Update it! It’ll be easy! Well, one product deleted and completely recreated later…..it was fun and so much more than just a little facelift! =)

Slide1

I’m so glad I jumped into the TPT Seller Challenge that started this week! At first, I wasn’t sure which product I wanted to tackle first….BUT then, I went to a two day training. In the midst of the training, my creative wheels started turning and I knew EXACTLY what I needed to change…..and quickly! The training was over writer’s workshop with a word wall component. Not just any old run of the mill word wall though…..a new {to our area} word wall system!

Slide2

Like most of you, my word wall was set up like this at the beginning of the year….in two neat rows, divided between M and N. Well, once upon a time ago….in a PreK training we were advised to hang our word walls horizontally in ONE long alphabetical row from A to Z. Some of us did, space allowing….BUT most of us continued to utilize our word wall in the formation above. It’s worked…it’s been updated to be manipulative. It’s become interactive. NOW….it’s being revolutionized! Which leads me to the product that I made over! Stay with me….I promise we’re going somewhere with this.

Next year, when I go in to set up my word wall…that writing goals chart will have to find a new home because letters WILL be arranged horizontally from A-Z. In addition to adopting the new structure, the background will be black. High frequency words will be posted above the alphabet strip and vocabulary words will be added below the alphabet strip. Different right? There’s more…

With there being two types of high frequency words, differentiation will [visually] come into play. Decodable sight words will be printed on neon paper and cut to the shape of the word. Phonetically irregular words will be printed on white paper and framed in black to the shape of the word. Vocabulary words will be added onto rectangular cut manila paper…below the letter. My classroom “theme” is black and white with pops of color soooo, hearing this started my heart to leaping and gave an educational reason to the color students will be seeing on the word wall.

Slide3

…and it inspired my makeover item! A couple years ago, I created the little book above as a resource for our writer’s workshop folders. The old one is on the left. The NEW and IMPROVED one is on the right!

Instead of it being sized to fit into one of the side pockets of the folder, its now been edited for hole punching to fit onto the prongs running down the middle of the folder…to use as a resource to record and find spellings of frequently used words.

Slide4

Notice the difference on the inside?!!! HUGE! THIS will also be how our word wall will look…..so, the book students will use to record new words will be a reflection of the wall we post them on! Lines will help with organization and they will have the alphabet with accompanying symbols to assist as a formation reference. Mind blown! If you can’t tell….I’m a little excited about the upcoming change! We’ve only been out of school for a week and my head is spinning with ideas to begin preparing for the new year!

Slide5

Sometimes, friends' names can be a little hard to spell. There’s a space for those names and subject specific words at the end of the book.

Slide6

Makeover…..done!

I just uploaded this cutie to my TPT store and because I’m so excited about how it turned out, I listed it as a forever FREEbie! Click HERE to grab it! Stay tuned…inspiration is flowing. More is in the works to accompany this….

See ya next week, when we continue the challenge by daring to dream……..BIG!

7 comments:

  1. I'm interested in learning more about the new word wall configuration. I just downloaded your new booklet. THANK YOU!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I think it turned out looking amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!!:)

    Alma
    Mrs. Solis Teaching Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new booklet! It is very appealing for students. I can't wait to use it in my classroom. Thanks for sharing this amazing product!

    Shelly SItz
    Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous! I can't wait to use it and I may just have to try out a vertical word wall.....
    Thanks so much!
    Tina
    Mrs. Peyerk's Porcupine Pals

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to find out how your updated word wall will look. I am super visual so as I read I was trying (really trying) to picture how it would look in my classroom. Sounds like a great idea and I love that you made your booklets to match. I'm adding you to my bloglovin so I don't miss your next post on this. :)

    Susan
    Teaching Doodles

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new word wall idea! And I am stunned that your fantastic booklet is a freebie! It's exactly what I've been looking for! Swoon :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little love.....Thanks! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...