Friday, February 22, 2013

Five for Friday: Compound Words Fun

fiveforfriday_thumb[2][1]

Hi, Friends! How are ya? I’m really beginning to love Five for Fridays! We had so much fun in class this week, it was a little hard to narrow it down, but I think I may have managed it. We introduced compound words. They’re absolutely one of my favorite things to teach…

photo 1

…but as I got ready to begin the week, I couldn’t for the life of me remember what books I had used last year! Enter some fab friends that helped me out over at the FB page and voila! We were stocked with suggested titles, off and running!

    photo 2 photo 3

The kids absolutely loved predicting compound words as we read Once There Was a Bull…(frog)! The riddles in Strawberry Bullfrog brought about lots of giggly fun too. We used the cards from my Compound Word Work packet to play a quick game. Each student was given a “little word” and had to move around the room silently to find their partner. Tammy’s cutie patootie clip art made for some fantastic self checking for my little struggling readers to match the “little words” to make their “big word”.

photo 5

See those little apples on the floor? Well, we read a story about a silly little rabbit who thought the sky was falling when one fell on his head. As my kiddos were finishing up an assignment at their desks, wouldn’t you know it?! The same gust of wind that caused that little apple to hit Little Rabbit on the head blew through our classroom and knocked ALL of the apples right off of our apple tree! It even separated compound words back into two!!! Oh, my!

photo 1

Well, we couldn’t just leave the apples spread out all over the floor!

photo 2

Soooo, after collecting their assignment, each student stood, collected an apple, and walked the room to find it’s partner. They then, built a compound word to post back onto the apple tree. It seems the wind is still blowing because one little apple is missing its partner. =) I hope Little Rabbit and his friends didn’t eat it! You can grab the apples we used here.

Hopefully, we’ll find it on the floor Monday morning. Next up….we’ll be reading The Tree from Poppleton Forever. Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Yep! That little tree cutout is going to come in handy next week too!

photo 2

Have a great weekend! See ya next Friday! =)
Classroom Freebies Too




9 comments:

  1. Super cute activities! And LOVE the drawing for the story map!

    Angelia
    Extra Special Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angelia! I love the stories that we read towards the end of the year...=)

      Delete
  2. This is my first time on your blog. I love the background and colors! The tree is super cute. Thanks for the idea.

    Em
    curiousfirsties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We always have a ball with this story because its another version of Chicken Little. Big fun and so easy to comprehend...thanks for stopping by! =)

      Delete
  3. Love, love the apple tree. Such a cute idea. I found your blog through Doodle Bugs and I love it :)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. *LOVE* the name of your blog...it's peaked my interest...heading over! Thanks for stopping by! =)

      Delete
  4. your blog is really one of my favorites! you always have cute stuff going on! thanks for sharing the compound word clipart.. I think I need to purchase that .. now!

    :o) Kacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say what?!! Kacey, you seriously, just made my day! Thanks so much! I *LOVE* your doodles too! Thanks again! =)

      Delete
  5. You can try my new compound word game for iPad : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/make-a-compound-word/id796036139?mt=8

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little love.....Thanks! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...