Friday, May 3, 2013

CURRENTLY…it’s FIVE for FRIDAY!

Hi~ya, Friends! TGIF!!!!! How are YOU?

Slide1

Afternoon nap…check! Now, I’m wide awake and listening to an episode of Kym Whitley’s new show on OWN. I’ve always loved her as an actress; now she’s starring in a new reality series that’s cute….

I’m loving that we’re down to counting how many days are left in school…I think we’re at 24!?! We began our annual ABC countdown on yesterday and have had so much fun in the last 2 days! 

Having so few days left has got me thinking about long, late, summer nights and lazy summer days! I can hardly wait! I do believe I may have previously been a nocturnal animal because I come alive after dark and my sleep cycle completely changes the minute we get out of school! Heck, my sleep cycle changes every weekend! Ha!

I’m wanting a few more hours in the day to get it “all” done. Alas…I’m working on prioritizing…over procrastinating. My summer bucket list is pretty simple…just to spend quality time with my kiddos. They’ve been so sweet and patient as I’ve worked, blogged, and gone back to school over the last few months. They deserve a lot of hugs, kisses, and quality time. Can’t wait!

Slide1

While we have just days left to wrap up the school year, we’re also still packing in LOTS of learning to review all that we’ve done this year. We recently used a new little foldable that my kiddos really enjoyed.

Slide2

After reading a simple story about a set of sisters who loved planting seeds, we discussed how to drop the y, change it to i and add suffixes. After completing the folds, stapling, and slitting …there are 4 pages to write on.  In the pic, it looks like an x on the cover..but its actually a y crossed out with an arrow pointing to the letter i…On the inside pages, we added the changed forms to a word that ended with the letter y like happy and funny to each page. {happy, happier, happiest}

At the bottom students had to choose one of the forms of the word to use in a sentence and  illustrate it. Quick.visual.review.

Slide3 
We also released our little butterflies this week! This little guy stuck around just long enough for us to snap a few pics, but his sibs were definitely ready to flutter away because as soon as we opened their little netting, they flew away quickly one by one to the delights and squeals of my crazy little crew!

Remember that ABC countdown I mentioned? Well, today was Beach Day…BUT guess what? The high…{in Texas, no less} was only IN THE 60’s! Say WHAT?!!! 60~ish! Soooo, we had to move our beach day inside.….We created a little atmosphere in our classroom by….

Slide4

….kicking off our shoes, listening to ocean waves on a relaxation app, projecting a little scenery onto the whiteboard, turning off the lights and opening the blinds.  After the mood was set, students got comfortable to read and enjoy their afternoon snack in a spot of their choice on the floor around the room.

Slide5

These may be our last few days of school, but we’re gonna learn and play in such a way to make them our BEST days of school! Have a great weekend friends and don’t forget to head over and link up with Farley and Kacey! =)

fiveforfriday_thumb[2][1]


 

11 comments:

  1. LOVE your ocean music for reading time! Sounds so relaxing!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU! It really helps to calm the little chatteboxes! Thanks for stopping by! =)

      ~Tanya

      Delete
  2. If it were 60 degrees in Missouri we'd be outside thinking it was the nicest day ever. :) What a great way to end the year, enjoy your last few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I am NOT built for cold weather! Thanks for stopping by! =)

      ~Tanya

      Delete
  3. So glad that quick cold front is gone! Today is going to be a gorgeous day here in Texas!! Hoping that was the last of our weather spells! We have 24 days left also....yay! Such a cute idea for the ABC countdown!

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now today felt a LOT more like a Texas spring day! Thanks for stopping by! =)

      Delete
  4. Hi, Tanya!

    I found your blog through Farley's Currently. So glad to find a fellow Texan!!

    I love the idea of an ABC countdown for the last few days of school. I haven't allowed myself to count yet... so I'm hoping we still have at least that many so I can do the same thing!

    I'm your newest follower!

    Kelly
    Koonce’s Korner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! I love finding fellow Texans to follow! Hopping right over! =)

      Delete
  5. Followed you from Farley's Currently. I have 27 days left so a perfect time to join in on the ABC count down... great idea. As much as I to distract them from thinking about the last day of school, they are all counting down. If you can't beat'em, might as well give them some direction.
    Pauline
    First Grade by the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tanya!!!! How r you, I love your foldable, can you give me the directions. Can I also see your abc count down, please. I didn't see you on instagram, are you planning to join teacher talk tuesday??? Well enjoy your Sunday
    mrskimwright01@gmail.com
    Kim
    First Grade Journal

    ReplyDelete
  7. I CANNOT wait for lazy days!! Although I fear my summer will only include busy days as I have applied for my first teaching job and will hopefully be setting up my classroom! :)

    Bren P. @ The Teacher Diaries

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little love.....Thanks! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...