Friday, March 8, 2013

Five For Friday


fiveforfriday_thumb[2][1]
Hi~ya friends! TGIF! Guess what?! I bought a camera! A real camera! I’ve been using my iphone’s camera for the last few years and took a lot of ALL of my blog’s pics with it too. Well, if you’ve visited A+ Firsties in the last few weeks, you know my phone has been pitching fits and refusing to cooperate any longer, sooooo I bought an actual camera. It’s nothing big or fancy, but I can already tell the difference between it and my phone’s pics.

Slide2

Today we wrapped up our focus on geometric shapes. We’ve had a lot of fun with them. As my friends were wrapping up the calendar routine, I shopped around our classroom for a few real-world examples to play a guessing game. One student was selected to come forward and stick their hand in the bag without looking. They then had to give the class clues for them to guess the figure they were touching. It kinda went a little something like….“It has 5 faces and a point at the top.  What figure is it?”

After a few rounds of guess my figure and dancing to Jack Hartmann’s Shake Your Shape, we created a grid using our carpet. Want to know the funniest thing about our shapes discussion? When I asked my students what the difference between a 2D shape and 3D figure was….their immediate response? A 2D shape is flat, Jack! Lol!!!! Do you think I’ve watched one too many episodes of Duck Dynasty?

HA! I love some Uncle Si!!!! *LOVE* But I may want to work on keeping his language out of my math lessons from now on….=)

Slide1
I really love an opportunity to practice listening and following directions {wink, wink} Getting the kiddos up and moving to actively learn is also a must. Before trying to find a point on a grid on paper, a friend was positioned at 0 and provided directions to follow in order to find a figure on the grid aka our classroom carpet. We did this a few times. Once they really got the hang of it, a student then listened for directions to move from one object to another.

For instance, the student giving directions would tell the student moving along the grid to start at 0, move up 2 and right 2. By following those directions the student would’ve found the sphere.

Slide3

I went to work heavy hearted and in need of a genuine word of encouragement. One thing that always changes my mood for the better, is getting inside the classroom amongst my little lovebugs.  Today was no exception. Just as I began to prep for the day, I found this sweet gift on my table.

Slide4

It was a perfect gift…

Slide5

….and just what I needed. Receiving the message from a student made it totally special.

Slide6

A little retail therapy after school to start my summer wardrobe didn’t hurt either! Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Fun blog post! I've been using my iPhone for all my blog pics - I so need to get my camera fixed!! I'm your newest follower!
    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sue! I really need some ideas for science. I'll be stopping by your blog too! Thanks for following! =)

      Delete
  2. Love the grid idea! That's coming up in our curriculum in a few weeks!

    Where did you get those skirts?? So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids love it when they get to BE the manipulatives, lol! Might as well put all of those little wigglebottoms to good use! Those 2 came from Walmart....and I've got my eye out for more everywhere I go! I'm so looking forward to tank tops, flowy skirts and flip flops....come on summer! =)

      Delete
  3. I love the grid! I've done something similar in the past but hadn't thought of it in a while.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! Hope your weekend is fun filled! =)

      Delete

Leave a little love.....Thanks! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...