Thursday, July 18, 2013

Throwback Thursday~What is an anchor chart?

Hi, Friends! How are ya? It’s time for another thrilling Throwback Thursday! This post was originally created as a guest post for a sweet blogger friend, so it may be new to some of you! We’re recovering from enjoying our first concert ever! Yep! I’m pretty sure I’ve got mommy of the year wrapped up as of today!

Enjoy the post! Deja, DJ and I are snoozing still with a little Mindless Behavior, OMG Girlz, and Coco Jones {along with the screams of tweenage girls} ringing in our ears!
concert
****************************************************
Hi there! Tanya from Mrs. Dwyer’s A+ Firsties here.  How are ya? I appreciate Christina allowing me this time with you!
aplusbutton
I know that many of us bloggers know what an anchor chart is and use them on a regular basis, but many of new friends entering the profession do not.  In fact, just the other day, a new teacher asked me that exact question.  Soooo, I thought it would be a great idea to share that here with you all today!


photo 1
The answer that I gave her was a simple one.  We like to keep things “deep”, but simple (gotta get in that rigor).  An anchor chart is simply a chart that you and the class create and hang together as a means of anchoring your learning.  Making a reference.  Have something to refer back to, to make the learning “stick”.

I love to doodle.  If you stop by and visit me sometime, you’ll see how we doodle in meaningful ways throughout the year.  This little cutie was the very first anchor chart my firsties and I put together this year.

My students did an amazing job of listening intently and working to meet the requirements of Read to Self everyday of the first week of school.  It really was a amazing!


          photo 1   photo 2

They don’t always look the same and can be used to record learning in all subject areas.  These two are from language arts and math.  Before you started teaching, did you ever give thought to how many processes a kiddo has to go through just to remember what they’re supposed to accomplish? Whew!

Anchor charts are life savers! One thing that I’ve also decided to do this year is to take a picture of each anchor chart, as we complete it and print it to place into a binder.  Classroom wall space is really important real estate, so many of the charts only hang for a while before being sent home with a student that might need a little extra help or guidance.

The plan is to then, divide the binder by subject area and leave in an accessible area of the room for students to refer to, as needed? 

Wanna get a sneak peek into what we’ll be charting this week?  Have a look see below!

photo 2
I’ve pre-prepped a few so that as we’re discussing the “meat” of how to read to someone this week, we’ll be able to record it right away in the midst of the cutesifying.  Many of the charts that we will build in class are also the result of shared writing activities where students get to share the pen with me.

Thanks for letting me visit you today!  Stop by {and follow} sometime to see what else we’ll be using this year to anchor our learning! Best of luck to you as we start the new year!  Click the pic below to grab a mini chart freebie for your classroom! 

This one was a real eye opener for my firsties as a few of them felt intimidated about not being able to read already.  After discussing the different ways to read a book, everyone felt relaxed and confident.  It helped to get our year off to the perfect start! Anchors away!
Thanks, again!
Slide1
Happy teaching!
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing an easy to understand explanation of anchor charts. I still have a year left of school but love learning as much as I can from amazing teachers and I see anchor charts everywhere but was not clear on how useful they could be.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little love.....Thanks! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...