Saturday, June 30, 2012

WHY IS ENGLISH SO HARD TO LEARN?

As I’m avoiding studying for my ESL exam in the morning, I was reading over a handout that I thought would be fun to share with you.  Take a minute and read over a few of the following sentences.

1.  The bandage was wound around the wound.

2.  The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

3.  A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

4.  They were too close to the door to close it.

5.  He could lead, if he would get the lead out.

Notice anything?  Sometimes, it just simply amazes me that any of us learned how to read at all! Now, think of all the processes that have to go through the head of a child that speaks one language, then enters school and has to learn another! Simply, amazing!

Thank you to everyone that took the time to comment on my little Give-Away post to share what topics that you’re most curious about right now.  I made sure to take notes and will be sharing how I address many of these topics in my classroom in the weeks to come.  I have an insatiable curiosity when it comes to all things instruction, so it’ll be fun to learn, share, and growth with so many amazing, new friends!

Our kids are so lucky to be in classrooms with teachers that are willing to go above and beyond so that sentences like the ones above, when read, will ring clear as a bell.  Learning about language and how to use it can be confusing.  Given ample opportunity and quality instruction, students of all ability levels will undoubtedly be able to shine!

Thanks, again for joining in all of the Give-Away fun! I’ll be announcing winners on Sunday afternoon! Best of luck to you! 

2 comments:

  1. I remember a lesson from college that went over this exact topic! I have to get my ESL certification this year.:)

    Jena
    1st Grade with Miss Snowden

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting and soooo true. I work with all ELLs.

    I am your newest follower and just started a blog of my own. I am excited to network with so many passionate educators!

    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little love.....Thanks! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...